By now we all know Hamas has won an out right majority in the Palestinian election. I believe this is a favorable outcome for the following reasons:
1. Had Fatah won, they still would not have been able to reign in Hamas' violence. Thus nothing has changed with a Hamas victory.
2. Hamas still is not strong enough to win against Israel. This political victory does not strengthen that.
3. Hamas now must be accountable for their actions, this is a new pressure on them. Will they be able to deliver for the Palestinians a better life?
4. If Hamas continue to work toward the destruction of Israel, this then will essentially be a declaration of war between two states, thus allowing a freer hand for Israel to act, and for the US to cut off aid.
5. If Hamas does not perform, they will be replaced by the Palestinians.
6. The world is better off interacting with a representative power of the Palestinians and thus hold the Palestinians themselves accountable to their elected government. No longer can they claim oppression as do the Saudis, Egyptians or most of the Arabs now.
In addition: Israel should negotiate with Hamas now. After all, if you do not negotiate with your enemy, who would you negotiate with for a diplomatic peace? A military victory will always remain an option.
All Things Beautiful
Architecture and Morality